Tuesday, March 19, 2013

baby deuce's quilt


Sorry for the bad lighting - I can't wait for sun around here or I'll wait forever!

I finally finished the baby's quilt!  It's been sitting on my sewing table for weeks now, waiting on binding.  I finally got in gear and finished it last night.  It's in the same style as the Melissa quilt (here) and children's parade quilt (here).  In fact, the parade quilt fabric and this quilt fabric are by the same designer, Sarah Jane Studios.  The fabric collection is called "Out to Sea" and the minute I saw it I knew that we would not be ordering the quilt that went with the baby bedding!

A close up of pirate ship wheels, anchors and narwhals

I love the narwhal fabric, and it turns out that my niece Caroline is really into narwhals lately.  She and I are making her a quilt together when she comes to visit this summer, so I went ahead and ordered three more fat quarters of this same fabric, in the same blue and two pinks!  It's too cute to not have extra around.

Rope alphabet

Here is the panel.  It's ships with clouds and seagulls above. I did my regular all-over loopy free motion quilting.



The binding is a navy stripe.


I found the backing fabric at JoAnns.  I wanted to use a fleece, and had some blue polka dot fabric in my hand when I stumbled onto these stripes and anchors.  This backing fabric was a done deal the minute I laid eyes on it!


But, of course, I didn't buy enough and I was too lazy to go back out for more.  So I added left-over pirate ship wheels to the bottom.


In its rightful place on the back of the new glider!  The hubs got the chair put together over the weekend, and it was just waiting for this quilt to be complete.  Honestly, I don't know how much we will end up using the quilt as a blanket.  But as a play mat on the floor, or later a blankie being dragged behind him, part of a sofa fort - yes, I hope so.  


No comments:

Post a Comment