Friday, January 22, 2010

total recall

Ugh. This week we've been affected by TWO recalls, one more easily solvable than the other. First, our Graco travel system stroller was recalled. This is an easy fix - we'll simply buy a new stroller. Britton will outgrow her carseat soon enough, and at that time we'll have to buy her a new carseat anyways. We had planned on buying a lightweight stroller at the same time, so we'll stick with that.

On the other hand, my car was recalled. I have a 2009 Camry, which I have been rocking without the front floor mat since I heard the devastating telephone call from a Camry driver where the floor mat stuck the accelerator and he and his family sped out of control. The entire family died upon impact, and with tears in my eyes I ran to the garage to get that blasted floor mat out of my car. But it turns out the floor mat isn't responsible for the accelerators sticking. And now Toyota has recalled cars and has no plan on fixing them. I called Toyota last night and asked them what I'm supposed to do. I was told this: (1) your car is safe to drive, (2) if the accelerator sticks, put the car in neutral and steer away from traffic, and (3) we'll send out letters in a month detailing the repairs we'll authorize.

Meaning I now own a car I have no intention of ever driving again.

Because the big question still lingers - why issue a recall with no plan in place on how to fix the problem, and then tell people their cars are safe to drive? Wouldn't Toyota have just waited until the recall info was complete before announcing the news? If my car is so safe and this defect is so rare, why the instructions on how to override your stuck accelerator?

The hub and I are driving to work together this morning. I can't in good conscience put Britton in a car I know to be unsafe. And tomorrow we will go car shopping. I'm so mad. I wanted to own this car for many years, actually have a car I had paid off and could enjoy without the monthly car payment. And I thought my Camry was a dependable decision.


So long Camry. I thought I knew you. I thought we looked out for each other. I thought if I ever got hurt in you, it would be another car's fault. I was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment