Saturday, January 16, 2010

it's like a Cracker Barrel country veggie plate special around here

One night, while feeding Britton her oatmeal cereal, something changed. It wasn't distinct, no fireworks or shift in the Earth's gravitational pull. No, but it was palpable nonetheless. Britton likes eating food. And she's good at it too! Swallowing? No problem. Opening her mouth for the food? Amateurs. Making "mmmmm" sounds? Like it's her job. She did so well with the cereal that we're adding new veggies every night. First it was sweet potatoes, then squash, then peas, then carrots, then green beans. I kept waiting for her to hate one, or at least give me that baby "did you just put lemon juice in my mouth?!" look so popular on "America's Funniest Home Videos." Nope. She loves them all, readily eating as much as there is available.

The hub got her this awesome Dr. Suess bib, as well as 500 cheapy white ones so that we weren't washing the only 3 bibs every day. When I don't feed her fast enough (sometimes the stretch of time between getting the spoon out of her mouth, then loaded with more food and back up to her mouth is waaaaaaaayyyyyyy too long for her), the bib goes into her mouth. Baby food gets all over the bib, Britton's clothes, the Bumbo seat, but that's what a washing machine and paper towels are for.

I haven't started her on fruit yet because I didn't want her getting a taste of the sweet stuff and then refusing veggies. But I don't think that's going to be a problem. I must admit, I am quite proud of my little girl. I was such a picky eater growing up. Yes, my favorite restaurant as a child was Ponderosa. Let's all shudder in horror together. But I did love seafood, which just goes to show you that kids will eat what is given to them. Chances are if your kid's favorite foods are french fries and chicken nuggets, you've been hitting up the Mickey D's too much (which is at all). So, I want Britton to enjoy food, and willingly try new foods. And it looks like we're on our way...

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment