Tuesday, June 30, 2009

the 33rd week



My next doctor's appointment isn't until next Monday, and at that time we will be scheduling another ultrasound so that the doctor can determine if the baby is getting too big too fast. Until then, I have to see the dietician on Thursday for another follow-up. Hopefully she can figure out why my fasting numbers (the blood sugar check first thing in the morning) are going up, regardless of what I do.

The hub and I have taken to sharpening our parenting skills by watching MTV's "16 and Pregnant." We watch these obnoxious teenagers and their useless boyfriends (except for Farrah - whose baby daddy is never mentioned....hmmmm.....) and scream at the tv when they say things like "I don't want to breastfeed because my boobs will sag" and, immediately after birth, "Could you wipe off her face? That's gross." It's easier to focus on the teenage years than the actual birth at this point!

We have our birthing class on July 11, 2009 from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. We just couldn't face breaking up the classes into multiple weeks, so we figured we'd treat it like a bar exam review session and get it all in one day. We have to dress in comfortable clothes and bring pillows. Perhaps the hub and I can hide in the back of the room and not make eye contact? I'm just hoping they have 1970-era films of women giving birth.

Breastfeeding class is on July 7, 2009, and the hub is encouraged to attend since "you'll tend to forget everything taught once the baby comes." Great. According to the hospital lady, the hub can then remind me how to do what we were taught in class. I can predict this now - breastfeeding isn't working, I don't know what I'm doing, and the hub, as he has been told, reminds me what to do. Hormone-ridden achy me screams, "If you're so smart, why don't you do it? I guess you think you're better than me because you can remember how to feed our child. Are you saying I'm a bad mom?!" Worse case scenario, but still. And we're hoping we make it to Infant CPR class on July 28th and that Baby B hasn't decided to grace us with her presence too early.

And in other news, I have a job interview tomorrow! I applied for the Drug Court Coordinator position for Oklahoma County. I have some experience with Drug Court since the judge I clerked for started the first Drug Court in West Virginia. They don't know I'm pregnant, and so I figure that I will bring it up first and early just to clear the air. I'm hoping that the position doesn't have a quick start date, and maybe if they want to hire me I can start part-time now, or wait until after the baby. Crossing my fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment