Friday, January 30, 2015

sweet (cakes) & salty (tale)

Valentine's Day calls for sweet treats.  One day holiday?  Not in this house.  We celebrate Valentine's Day all month, especially when it comes to sweets.  Britton and I saw a picture of these little stacked cakes in a magazine, and she wanted to make them too.  I made a sheet cake of vanilla cake, then we cut out circles and hearts.  We stacked the shapes with strawberry icing between the layers.  


And covered them in sprinkles and strawberries!



Ahhh, the sweet.  And here's the salty, a cute story from this week.  Britton, Barrett, and I were on our way home from work/school, and we're listening to Britton's favorite song du jour - "Running Down the Hill" by Laurie Berkner Band.  In the song, a flower is describing how, when the kids aren't looking, she (oh, the title says it all) runs down the hill, spinning, and in general having a good ole time.  I said to Britton, "Wouldn't it be great to be a flower?"  Because, after having to think all day at work, I like these kinds of conversations.  And Britton replies, "Ummm....wouldn't it be lonely to be a flower?"

Touche.  I told her no, that the butterflies and bumble bees would visit me.  And Britton says, "Butterflies would suck all your nectar.  For food."  I didn't really have an answer to that.  And Britton, clear and steady, says, "You still want to be a flower, Mom?"

Ha!  I couldn't do anything but laugh at that serious response!  That's my salty girl, even when she's not trying to be salty.







No comments:

Post a Comment