Sunday, February 1, 2015

off to the slopes (of my backyard)

It feels like it's been snowing for a week straight.  Heck, maybe it has!  And since we get home and need to get upstairs so I can make dinner and then it gets dark so soon, I put off taking the kids out in the snow until the weekend.  Come Saturday morning, a high of 18 degrees, and I put it off until the afternoon in the hopes it might warm up a bit.  



The tube is the new favorite this year.  We also have a sled and a saucer, but the tube goes the fastest.  And once the hubs and I built a ramp in the middle of the tubing path, it allows you to fly into the air.  Britton rode the tube right into a thorny bush and popped it, and as usual we had a back up ready to go.


Barrett woke up from his nap in the middle of our sledding, so when he came out to join us he was pretty confused.  He wanted to try out the tube too, and had fun time flying down the hill!  I suspect that Barrett would enjoy the snow more if he would wear gloves.  Alas, this kid won't wear them longer than the time it takes for me to turn around.  I'm tired of him leaving a trail of gloves in the backyard, so he's no longer required to wear them.



Sledding is so exhausting!


Today, we were all waiting for the big snow storm to hit.  Finally, sometime after lunch, the flakes got big and I had to go shovel the driveway.  Once I got to the end of the driveway, the part I started first was covered again!  Britton wanted to do more tubing, so we did.  Then the hubs and Britton set up their own Everest expedition, courtesy of a tent on the deck!



Britton got such a kick out of the tent!  The hubs has now promised to set it back up in the summer and camp out with Britton.  She tried to convince him they could camp out now, but the hubs wasn't buying that.



Sadie came out to check out the tent, but wanted none of this snow nonsense.  


It's only the first day of February - statistically, we have so many more snows to go this season.  But this was our first big dump, over six inches, and I must say, it was magical.  I love when the sun hits snow and there's millions of diamonds covering the lawn.  I love how the snow hangs in these evergreens and makes a scene most Christmas cards would envy.  Sure, I curse the snow if I have to drive in it or the kids track 15 pounds of it into the kitchen, but I didn't have much snow growing up.  I still love it.  I'm not tired of it, and I hope I never am.


No comments:

Post a Comment