Sunday, January 11, 2015

the winter games

Our week started out with snow, snow, and more snow.  It was beautiful.  But it was so cold that we couldn't venture out into it.  I mean, there were nights that the temperatures dipped below freezing.  So we lucked out when the snow stuck around for the weekend, but the temperatures decided to be more forgiving.  

Britton has been asking to go ice skating for months.  She decided to ask her friend Ali from school, and I called up her mom to see if they could join us.  We planned to meet up this afternoon, and I admit, I was nervous.  I've only ice skated once in my life, and it didn't occur to me until I was lacing up Britton's skates, that I was going to have to keep her up and me up at the same time! 


We both clung to the wall.  Our first lap was slow but steady, and eventually we started to catch on to this balancing thing.


And Britton let go of the wall....


And both munchkins got to experience the snow too!  There is so much truth to the saying that playing in the snow is 90% putting on snow gear and 10% actually playing in the snow!  This the first snow that Barrett was really experienced.  Last year he was too little to play in it.



We got past throwing snow at each other, and moved on to tubing in the back yard.  We spent the entire time trying to avoid crashing into that tree you see below!  The kids loved tubing, and it's easier than sledding, especially with Barrett.


This was Barrett's second run.  Bad mommy forgot to take a picture!  The hubs and I took turns flinging the kids down the hill, and we made sure to go inside and warm up frequently. 


Another storm is heading our way tonight, so maybe we'll get more sledding fun in this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment