Thursday, April 18, 2013

the charlotte quilt (and hat and burp cloths)

The hubs worked with a girl named Lindsey at a previous job years ago, and they have been friends ever since.  Lindsey is a guy's girl, who grew up with a farming and rancher dad, and works in the male-dominated world of oil and gas.  She curses like a sailor and is fantastically easy to get along with. So when the hubs told me that Lindsey was having a baby girl soon, I just knew I had to sprinkle some pink into her world!  I have no idea if Lindsey reads this blog, so Lindsey, if you do, stop reading now!

I pulled all my pink fabrics and cut them up into 5 inch squares.  Ahhh, patchwork, I never tire of you!


Close up of some fabrics - "Pearl Bracelet," "Posy," and some of my old favorites, including my pinwheels and birds.  I tried to keep the pinks varied by using fabrics ranging from mostly white with a little pink to full-on hot pink.


Lindsey is a graduate of OSU (Oklahoma State University) and to call her a proud graduate would not be accurate.  Lindsey is ridiculously in love with OSU and always will be!  The hubs suggested I use OSU fabric for the backing, and while he normally needs to be tortured into giving me an opinion about my quilts, he offered this gem right up.  And he was right.  I found this pink OSU fabric online and it just finished the quilt off nicely.  And you can see my stitching - 1/4 inch on either side of the blocks, in pale pink thread.


Pink seersucker striped binding.  Yes and yes.



And while hunting down pink OSU backing fabric, I also found some cute OSU fabrics in the school colors of orange and black.  I'd been wanting to try burp cloths and figured this was my shot.  And of course, when someone is expecting their first baby, you tend to want to go overboard.  So I commissioned Jessica (here's her shop) to make me a baby girl OSU hat too!  Perfect for football season!



I just have to buy a card and mailing envelope tomorrow, and then all her goodies will be on the way to Oklahoma!

1 comment:

  1. I think that's the prettiest quilt you've made yet *wink wink*

    ReplyDelete