Sunday, April 28, 2013

a fairy garden

I wanted one more little project, just me and Britton, and I found it when we went shopping two weeks ago for roses.  The nursery we went to had a section of fairy gardens, which I've never even heard of.  I remember wondering if such a thing were real. But Britton loved the little chairs and tables and fairies and I started to understand what the intrigue was.  After a little internet searching later, I was just as into it as she was.  Not that I believe Tinkerbell is going to come live in our plants anytime soon, but it's a chance to make a little magical spot in your garden.  And since the deer have decided to eat every plant except for one rose bush, at least this was some gardening that would actually give me results!


We got the planter, the plants, the frog, and the glass "creek/river" beads at Wal-Mart this morning.  Then we went back to the nursery and Britton picked out an iron bed, a gazebo (the white thing below), a bird bath, some "log" flooring material, a toadstool, and a bird. We had to get less than we wanted, because I didn't want to crowd up the pot too much.  I pulled the moss straight out of the backyard!





Here's an aerial view of the whole thing.  I love how it turned out!  If the plants survive, I would definitely do another one or two of these because they are fun to plan out.  In my internet searches I saw that some of these gardens get big (and complicated - homemade fairy houses?!) but I think a couple planters here and there would be fine.  Britton loved pulling out her Tinkerbell fairies (and Fawn, and Iridessa, and Terrence) and acting out some fairy issues!


No comments:

Post a Comment