Friday, February 8, 2013

baby deuce: the nursery

We've finally gotten the nursery (mostly) finished!  Unlike the first time I was pregnant, this time we didn't rush into getting the room ready by the 15th week of pregnancy.  We had some finagling to do, room-wise.  This room used to be the guest room, so the guest room got moved to the office.  Then the office got moved to the empty formal living room.  But space-wise, this room works best for the baby room.  

Funny side note:  this room is right across the hall from Britton.  Last week, out of the blue, Britton said to me, "My baby brother is going to wake me up.  With his crying."  Turns out someone at school told her that and reported it back!  I told her she was right, that his crying would sometimes wake her up but that she'd (hopefully) learn to sleep through it.

Here it is!  The main wall color is "Soft Sky" by Benjamin Moore.  The stripes are "Soft Jazz" and "Decorators White," also from Benjamin Moore.  I took the crib bumper into Ace and matched the main bumper color to the wall color, and the darker blue stripe to the gingham accents in the bumper.  The colors ended up being 2 apart from each other on the same paint sample strip!  

Originally I was going to paint stripes all the same size, but Jessica suggested I mix them up, and she was so right on the money!  When my mom was in town visiting, she watched Britton so I could get the stripes finished.


I found these prints on Etsy.  The whale matches the bedding perfectly!  I matted them in navy mats, then spray painted some $5 Wal-Mart frames white. They look tiny in the picture above, but they are actually 11 x 14 each.


This bookcase belonged to the hubs way before I came along.  It was the starting off point for the cherry furniture in the room.  We did white with Britton and wanted something different this time around.  Even though my photos don't do any of the furniture justice, they are all beautiful rich cherry finishes.  I piled up all our model boats in this room!  They will get moved around and some will leave the room, so don't worry - we're not overloading the bookcase with 5 ships!


The bedding is "Jackson" from Pottery Barn Kids.  I ordered just the bumper, crib skirt, and sheet.  I made the quilt instead of ordering one, and it's almost finished!


I also ordered the same year progression photo collage frame that I had ordered for Britton.  This hangs on the left side of the window.  The curtains are from Pottery Barn Kids too and are navy gingham.  They match the whales perfectly.  Britton has lavender gingham curtains, so I see a pattern here!


Let me tell you - a dresser is hard to find!  We were stuck between $200 particleboard and $600 "real" furniture store prices.  The dresser I wanted originally, from IKEA, was too big for the wall.  Luckily, our Delta crib had a matching dresser with great reviews and an even better price.  

It's all wood and ridiculously heavy.  When the hub picked it up, he had to leave the box in the basement because he couldn't get it up two flights of stairs by himself.  Well, I've been home alone the last two nights, and took it upon myself to open the box and move the pieces up to the room in manageable loads.  Then I put it together!  We are putting the changing pad on top so that we don't have to clutter the room with a changing table.  The rocking chair (not yet bought) will go next to it.  And my grandparents' round mirror is going over the dresser - Jessica is giving it to me when I visit in March.


When Jessica and her family came to visit over Christmas, Tim installed a ceiling fan for us!  The room had one ceiling light - a pot light over the closet.  Tim got into the attic and rewired the switch so that the pot light and the ceiling fan could be controlled.  It was a tedious job, and we were so grateful he could do it for us on what was supposed to be his vacation!



No comments:

Post a Comment