Tuesday, November 13, 2012

the money pit: our new bathrooms

We hired a great contractor to totally rehaul two of our three bathrooms, and it turns out he can start at the beginning of December.  Say what?  So the hub and I met up with him on Saturday at Lowes so he could help us pick tile, the vanity, and the tub.  Bob, who has a fantastic Irish accent I could listen to all day, was more than willing to offer up his expertise.  And I imagine that he was willing because how many homeowners you think stumble into Lowes on their own, only to leave with every wrong choice?  My guess is at least 60%.  The tile department alone is overwhelming.

Here is our hall bath, which is Britton's bathroom.   I originally ordered a much darker, almost black, vanity, not realizing that "espresso" meant "black."  Luckily I happened to walk by the "espresso" vanities and realize my mistake before the order was processed!  Instead I went with this warmer, not-as-stark, vanity to compliment the grey tile.  The almost-black vanity would have been too cold and harsh.

The shower accent tile will be lined on either side with a clear sea glass green tile border, to separate it from the large wall tile.  I ran with this and ordered some green glass knobs from Restoration Hardware for the vanity.  I know it's not completely "neutral," but sparse light green accents will be fine.



And since we are waiting on the master bathroom until the hub and I get our bonuses after the new year, we decided to spring for the downstairs powder room.  We already had a new toilet installed there, and the floor is hardwood, so the only thing that needs replacement is the vanity and mirror.

I will be sure to share "before" and "after" photos of the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment