Wednesday, November 28, 2012

the heather quilt

Memaw worked with a great girl, Heather, in Fort Worth at our old office.  Heather was in love with Memaw and still talks with her to this day.  I worked with Heather's husband in my department, and together they were just a fun couple.  They had tried for some time to get pregnant, and I'm sure that the specifics are none of my business.  Suffice it to say, they are expecting their first child, a little girl, so Memaw and I wanted to do a quilt for them.

I have been hoarding this stash of "Strawberry Fields" fabric.  You might remember that I previously made a quilt out of Strawberry Fields (see it here), and Heather had fallen in love with it.  So I knew that if she was having a girl, she was getting my stash!  The pattern is a wonky star, meaning that the points of the stars aren't supposed to be even with each other.  I mixed in a couple of non-stash prints and solids, to mix it up.  Sorry about the badly-lit pictures - it's dark by the time we get home from work.


The back.  I couldn't get the border around the middle fabric to be even, and I was about to stomp all over the fabric in a temper tantrum, so I gave up and said good enough.


Polka dots?  Check.  Strawberries?  Check.


Close up of one of the stars.  I straight-line stitched a 1/4 of an inch on either side of the square.  The squares look loose and wrinkly because they aren't finished yet!  Memaw is hand-sewing around each star in a light pink thread.  That will anchor the blocks better.


I lucked out and found the exact same green stripe binding I used for my previous Strawberry Fields quilt!


Britton helped me take pictures. She tried to hold the quilt up but it was too big for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment