Friday, November 23, 2012

happy thanksgiving!

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!  We had Memaw and PawPaw come into town on Wednesday, and as a special treat the hub's grandmother, Granny, flew out from Oklahoma to visit.  Britton hadn't seen her since she was eight months old, so it was a great reunion.  

We started out cleaning the house on Tuesday, and I had promised Britton she could wash dishes.  I spoil my daughter, you see?  Actually, she wanted to wash dishes and hadn't ever had the chance to do it, so I figured I'd get some work out of her.  Every princess needs to know how to wash dishes.  So do princes.


Britton also wanted to help out with the cooking.  Memaw brought Rice Krispies and marshmallows (which we ate whole in front of the hub to gross him out) and made Rice Krispie balls.  



I made my mom's crab dip.  I can't have Thanksgiving without her crab dip.  The hub went to Costco no less than two times to find the Phillips crab meat, as it is a mandatory ingredient.  And when the hub mixed up Triscuits with Wheat Thins, he volunteered to go get my Wheat Thins at a depressing Thanksgiving Day Wal-Mart.  The man knows how I feel about this crab dip.


I found apple cider at Soergel's, which is an apple orchard and farmer's market near our house.  Their cider came out of their fields, and it was the freshest cider I've ever tasted.  We put it on the stove over low heat, with a bag of mulling spices in it.  Glade and Yankee Candle have nothing on us!


Memaw and PawPaw gave the hub a deep fryer for his birthday.  After some false starts with the propane, they decided they weren't redneck enough.  So the hub pulled out the four-wheeler for sitting purposes, and brought down some Crown Royal drinks.  Because there's no point in deep frying a turkey if you can't drink on your four-wheeler at the same time.



Ready to eat!


I got my nap while Memaw was finishing up the side dishes, so the men decided to get in naps when dinner was over.  With the Cowboys playing on television (well, if you can call that "playing") they zonked out.  Memaw and I took Britton on a walk to spy on our neighbor's Christmas lights and get the blood circulating.


Four generations...


With Thanksgiving over and Christmas around the corner, we pulled out the gingerbread house kit and went to work!  We had watched a Shrek movie that happen to be on television, and Britton loved the little gingerbread man.  She wanted to make gingerbread man cookies, but I offered up the gingerbread house kit instead.



And Memaw, the hub, and I worked at getting the Christmas decor finished outside.  No Christmas decor was put up inside because we just never got to it.  We will put up Christmas trees this weekend and all the little odds and ends, but I really wanted to get that front porch completed.  And our little row of Santas all lit up!

No comments:

Post a Comment