Tuesday, March 20, 2012

sailing away



I saw this dress in one of the 500 catalogues we receive each week (ok, not that many, but it seems like that many), and I instantly loved it (see more here). Maybe because I grew up at the beach, maybe because of the colors together, but I loved it. But not that it cost $48. So, what do I always do? I told myself I could make it.

And I did. But not for a whole lot less than $48, so please, for the love of all things holy, if you like a dress just go ahead and buy it and remind me to do the same! I couldn't find a good stripe for the dress, so I went with an apparel-grade seersucker. And this was my first time doing real applique work, and I enjoyed it! The stitching around the applique pieces are difficult, but I soon caught on, and learned how to adjust my stitch length. I didn't add the second little green wave next to boat because I found it distracting. And I made the dress from my standard pattern because it's the only dress pattern I know how to make.

In this picture, it seems to be strangely flat across the front, and that's because I used a stabilizer on the back to keep the pieces straight. The dress does move more than the picture shows.



Tiny stitches back and forth. It was like sewing buttonholes, or so I believe as I've never sewed buttonholes.



I laid it out Monday morning for Britton to wear. She put it on, then announced she wanted to wear her yellow dress. I don't like to fault her for wanting to wear what she wants to wear, so I talked her into wearing it for 5 minutes so I could get a picture. Sleepy Monday morning poses may be the only ones I ever get. I'll try to get her to wear it for picture day!

1 comment:

  1. You are so creative! I'm intrigued by your applique technique! I might have to try this. I've always wanted to learn how to do applique but I always thought you had to have a special machine.

    ReplyDelete