Wednesday, March 14, 2012

dallas quilt show

This past weekend, my friend Mandy (you know her from here) and I met up at the Dallas Quilt Show. Mandy works with the hub, and I've only met her one other time in person, but we are email buddies when it comes to quilting! She made a beautiful baby quilt recently, and is starting in on a Star Wars quilt for her husband. I always have multiple projects going, so we were looking for inspiration amongst the over 360 quilts.

Well, we never found any inspiration! The quilts this year were kind of meh. Just something about them didn't jive with me - black for background fabric, old-fashioned color combos and fabrics, bedazzled crap everywhere. It may have had something to do with us lowering the median age of attendees to 62 years old. Here are some of the more interesting quilts.

This quilt is entirely shaped by stitching...



I had to laugh at this Tetris quilt!



This quilt won tons of awards, and I can see why. While I don't like the middle (looks like the bottom of a sale bin at Michaels), I loved the hand-smocked (oh yes, hand-smocked) doll-sized dresses.




I wasn't too keen on this one either (I really prefer traditional quilts over modern patterns). That is, until I saw the name of the quilt - "Expecting!" The quilter made the quilt when she was pregnant with twins. Ahhh, made complete sense!



Mandy and I thought this was the front of the quilt. It isn't (front is below), but we actually liked it better than the front. It's all stitching, no piecing. And it bordered on the bedazzler side too much for our tastes. We were completely blown away, however, that it is done entirely of thread - no fabric pieces at all!




I just loved the name of this quilt - "The Veggies I Hate Quilt."



We shopped around a bit, both wishing we had come with projects in mind since the fabric prices were so low! We did each end up picking up some odds and ends. It was a great time, though the experience did solidify my reticence of joining a quilting group!

1 comment: