Tuesday, March 27, 2012

granny squares quilt for granny

Remember that patchwork quilt I made with the tea towels Granny embroidered for us? Well, I wanted to say thank you to her for the towels and inspiration, and I stumbled upon this Granny Squares Quilt (originated here) and knew it was the perfect project. Just big enough for a lap quilt, generous use of scraps, so dang cute I want to cover it in glitter, and of course the name - Granny! The design is inspired by crocheted granny square afghans, and while I can't crochet worth a nickel (though my sister can), I can quilt.

It came together easily, and picking the little 2.5 inch squares was the most fun by far. Once I had it all arranged and trimmed, I sashed it, quilted it in straight lines (which are actually diagonal lines), and bound it. Then last week I mailed it off to its new home (after spending the morning with it on my lap because I didn't want to say goodbye so soon), but Granny was out of town! No problem since her neighbor picked up her mail for her, and kept it safe until she got home. I talked to her today and am pleased to relay that she loves it, as do her neighbors. And I don't think she'd mind me sharing that her neighbor saw the quilt (and pictures of the embroidered quilt and Britton I included in the package) and told her that she must be really loved. The neighbor was right - she is.



Paisley binding, from the first dress I made Britton. I was originally going to go with brown with white polka dots but the hub vetoed it and said the binding needed more color......and since he doesn't hear this often enough, he was right.



Walking foot, you are my friend. See how crinkly and soft a dryer makes this quilt?



I asked Memaw what Granny's favorite color is, and she said if she had to guess it would blue or periwinkle since she wears those colors often. I had just the yardage in my stash, and added the little blue flowers, since the solid back wasn't quite big enough.



Oh, my little hidden surprises! A cupcake amongst the yellow squares (from an apron for Britton):



And two orange crabs sneaking around...




And this quilt has inspired me to do what I don't normally - make another! As soon as I got back from the post office, I was cutting into my stash for more 2.5 inch squares. And that's how you know you love a quilt. We love you Granny!

No comments:

Post a Comment