Monday, November 23, 2009

i made my choice


When my mom was in town, I had a job interview. And in the middle of last week, I got a call offering me the job, which I accepted. My first day back at work will be January 4th. I won't be practicing law, because frankly I don't want to take another bar exam and the hours are ridiculous. I'm working for the same company as the hub, but a different department, where I will be handling leases of mineral rights. Going back to work has been a decision that the hub left up to me, but in all seriousness, there really wasn't much of a choice. Unless I wanted to default on my student loans or deplete our savings account, a second income was a necessity.

And, in truth, I like take-out. I like BabyGap clothing. I like Pampers Sensitive diapers and wipes. I like Disney World. I like Vegas weekend trips. I like special formula at $53 per case that makes Britton a happy camper. I like my great credit score. What I don't like is leaving Britton. We found a great daycare for her, costing a little less than our mortgage (seriously), but the place is new and qualified and safe. They even have video cameras in the room so I can check in on her during the day.

But I don't want to miss a thing. I don't want to sit in my office while Britton rolls over completely for the first time, while she speaks her first word, while she crawls and then walks and then runs. So I'm savoring these last six weeks with her, and soaking up as much of her as I can. I've already framed pictures of her to put into my new office. Going back to work after nine months off will be a huge adjustment. Going back to work as a mom will be an even bigger adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment