Wednesday, November 4, 2009

changes, they are a'coming




I alluded to some changes in my birthday post, and here they are. After Britton got over her colic, I found that I had postpartum issues with anxiety. Combine the natural hormonal crash at three months with quitting breastfeeding cold-turkey, and my hormones went completely out of whack. I just couldn't seem to calm down, always jumping to the worse-case scenario in my mind. I felt jittery and nervous, even when she was sleeping. I just couldn't shake her hours-long crying spells, even though she hadn't had them in weeks. I was so highly anxious about leaving the house, I didn't. Ever. And it was affecting being a good mom.

So, we're now taking steps to relieve some of that anxiety. Grandma came to visit, and Cammy is coming in one week. Because I was overwhelmed with the enormity of twenty-four hour responsibility, it really helps when family comes to visit and can lighten my load. Also, Britton started her Mommy's Day Out yesterday! My neighbor Missy is providing care, and I am so comfortable leaving Britton with her. As a mom herself, with a master's degree in Early Childhood Development, she is more than qualified! And those three hours, twice a week, help me to regroup and get errands done. The hub has helped me overcome some of my anxiety of leaving the house with her, by going with us on weekends to various places. And by listening when I need to talk, or vent, or cry.

I'm getting better. My anxiety has gone way down, and I am not nervous anymore. These changes are for the better, and they allow me to get to enjoy my little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment