Thursday, February 20, 2014

memaw's birthday christmas quilt

At Christmas this year, Memaw mentioned to me that she wants a Christmas quilt next year.  Not one to let a good quilt project sit idle (nor one to let JoAnn's 70% off Christmas fabric sale go untouched), I got on it for Memaw's birthday present.  Originally, I wanted to do different sized triangles, but I couldn't get the templates I made to work.  The triangles wouldn't come out consistently, and it was going to be a fight to get them lined up correctly.  So I scrapped that idea and went with my tried and true isosceles triangles, which turned out much better!



Reindeer with angels, candy canes with snowflakes, jingle bells with holly, little snowmen, Christmas trees - yes, Christmas threw up all over this quilt and I love it.


I knew I'd need about four yards for the backing, and this "snowmen plays in Candyland with gingerbread men" fabric was the only fabric that had four yards available!  Of course, as is the case when you can't get more fabric, it wasn't enough.  Since JoAnns was sold out of this fabric by then, I had to create a strip across the middle of leftover triangles.


I quilted in straight lines on either side of each triangle, which resulted in a cool pattern on the back.


Red and white candy cane stripe binding!  There's one of the jolly snowmen, surrounded by cookies and peppermints.


I gave the quilt to Memaw last weekend on her birthday and she loved it!  She said she'll keep it out year-round, because it is ridiculously snuggly and soft and just begs you to cuddle up in it.  I love how it turned out, and even better - I've now got TONS of Christmas fabric scraps.  On to the next quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment