Thursday, February 13, 2014

master bathroom redo

The hubs and I had been putting off doing anything with the master bathroom until we could gut the entire room and start over.  Thus, it became the absolute last room for us to decorate.  For the last year and a half it has been bland as bland can be - light tan walls, white vanity and countertop and floors, and simply a utilitarian room.  

But as we were finalizing what changes to make - new floor, new vanity, new shower insert and doors, pulling the mirror off the wall, new lighting, the works really, we found we weren't really excited about another remodel.  And when you're talking about thousands of dollars, you better be excited about it!  So instead of a remodel, we went with a facelift.

Boring tan and white before picture:


The stenciling around the top of the window was our favorite part of the bathroom.  It screams "1988," even more than the four-inch white tiles or ridiculously short vanity with formica countertops.  


And the after!  Details - paint is "Rainwashed" by Sherwin-Williams (the most amazing blue/green/grey color ever) and the accent colors are navy and sage green.  Here's bathing Britton giving a tour of the newly decorated bathroom!


We did replace the toilet months ago, and Mr. Bob is coming back to replace the shower insert and shower doors.  Other than those changes, I consider this bathroom finished!


Crab watercolors, printed from the internet, and matted in navy mats with wood frames.  I got the navy towels from Target, but already had the green and monogrammed towels.


I loved some ticking balloon curtains from Country Curtains, but they were $65 each, and with the size of our window (over 50" x 56") we would have needed two of them.  Luckily I happened to find some ticking fabric at JoAnns that was on sale, and for $28 of fabric (I needed 4 yards at $7/yard) and $2 of double shirring, I made my own balloon curtain!


Since we aren't replacing the vanity, I decided to spruce it up with clear glass knobs.  I thought about painting the vanity, and even checked out a few hundred online tutorials on how to do it, but in the end I decided against it.  There's no easy fix if the paint doesn't stick to the melamine/laminate cabinets, so I'm erring on the side of caution and leaving it alone.


More artwork stolen from the internet, and a starfish stolen from Barrett's room.  I haven't arranged my various [never-been-used] candles and hand towels yet.


There it is!  A few small changes, beautiful new color, and the house is finished (well, except for that shower insert and doors, but we're considering it finished).  "To do" is DONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment