Tuesday, December 31, 2013

see you, 2013. hello, 2014


Britton and Barrett made New Year's hats at school today.  Is this a thing?  I think it was most likely a craft to keep the kids busy, so that the teachers could firm up their plans for tonight's festivities.  Us, on the other hand - on the couch, as per the usual.  The hubs and I aren't big partiers anymore, and I'll gladly take some greasy Sheetz cheesesticks and Dick Clark's Rocking Eve over a crowded bar.  And, truth be told, I'll probably be snoring in the recliner by 11:00 pm.  But I better set an alarm, because Britton has been begging all afternoon to see the ball drop, and we finally compromised that we'd wake her up to see the ball drop, but that she had to go right back to bed.  I'll let you know how that works out for us!


As I am apt to do, I'm thinking about some New Year's resolutions. Well, not really resolutions, but more like "do more of this" and "stop doing that."  And some random things that I need to actually do in 2014:

1.  Get professional photos of the kids together.  Even though Barrett likes to pretend in all of my photos that he doesn't smile, he actually does, and these two are at adorable ages.  I need a beautiful portrait to look at years from now, when they are teenagers and I want to remind myself that they were once angels.  I've already submitted a request for info to a local photographer!

2.  Learn to use my camera.  Yes, more photography.  But seriously, if I treat my fancy camera and my iPhone camera in the same way, what's the use of having the fancy camera?  I signed up for a 2 night course at the local community college on how to use the camera in the manual mode.  

3.  Move.  Not houses (surprisingly) but my body.  I hate gyms, I won't run at 5:00 am in 15 degree weather, but I am in desperate need to moving my body more.  So when the opportunity to join Britton in a dance party presents itself, or a family walk, or just swinging on the swing set, I'll be up for it.

4.  Listen without anticipation.  Too often, I'll be listening to someone's story, and realize I'm thinking up a clever remark or story of my own.  And I'm missing the story.  Perhaps it's a side effect of Facebook and internet socialization, but I need to stop.  And listen.  Really listen.  

5.  Read more.  Over Christmas, I stayed up until 1:00 am three nights in a row in order to read a book ("Winter Garden" by Kristin Hannah - fantastic!). Surprisingly I wasn't tired the next day, or as tired as I would have been if I stayed up to watch television or browse the internet.  Reading allows me to experience new things through the characters, completely differently than watching shows or movies.  I learn new things.  I'm transported.  And I sleep like a baby after reading.

6.  Get more massages. This Friday, I'm getting a manicure, pedicure, facial, and massage - a total of four hours of pampering (an awesome birthday gift from the hubs).  I can't wait!  And while the whole spa package is out of my reach, price-wise, on a regular basis, I need to start treating myself to massages and pedicures and regular haircuts.  It's time to move these from "special occasion" to "I totally deserve this."

Hope everyone has a fabulous New Year's Eve, and Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment