Monday, December 30, 2013

a homemade christmas: the star quilt and tote bags


I haven't shared this quilt yet, because I gave it to Jessica and her family for their family Christmas gift and didn't want to spoil the surprise!  I saw this "Starcrossed Quilt" on a quilting blog (find it here) by Tracey Jay Quilts, and instantaneously I decided I needed to make it.  And I knew I would make it for Jessica.  So, last January, as in almost a year ago, I started pulling my favorite scraps and made wonky star after wonky star after wonky star.  There was no plan - just pulling colors and fabrics I loved, though trying to include all colors (blue fabrics dominate my stash - I could have easily made all the stars different blues if I didn't pay attention!).  

Over my maternity leave this summer, I finally got the top pieced, then quilted it in my lazy loopy free motion quilting.  The back is a beautiful grey fabric with small blue detail.  I didn't know what binding to use, since most of my fabrics just seemed too busy with all the different fabrics on the quilt top.  In the end, I went with a first for me - a solid, the same blue as the detail in the backing fabric.


And judging by Jessica's recent post about her Christmas (read it here), they love the quilt!

I also tried out making tote bags, which admittedly was scary.  Just because I can quilt doesn't mean I can sew, but I knew I could at least try.  Worst case scenario?  Throw the mess away!  But the first bag went so smoothly, that I went ahead and made one for my mom, my niece Caroline, and Memaw!

For Caroline - narwhals, of course!  And navy pin dot 

For Jessica - the colors of the sea

For Cammy - Greece was the inspiration, since Cammy always says how much she wants to go there

I don't have a picture of Memaw's bag, dang it all!  I used a fantastic sailboat print for hers, though in the upper bag area on the front, I used white and applied both kids' handprints in fabric paint to it.  Then I free-hand stitched their names underneath their handprints.  I promise to get a picture from Memaw!

Lastly, I made a pillow sham for Emily.  It's the same cherry print I used for the backing of Britton's birthday quilt, with my always-favorite red pin dot fabric for the name appliqué.  I also made a gummy bear pillow case for Caroline, but again forgot to take pictures!





No comments:

Post a Comment