Tuesday, December 17, 2013

a little lesson in love

Adding sass to Daddy's wardrobe
Last night, while I was getting Britton dressed in her pajamas, she told me that Daddy doesn't love her anymore.  I asked her what she meant, and she said that Daddy was mad at her and so he must not love her anymore.

I sat her on my lap and explained that Daddy and I might get mad about something she does, but that we will both always love her.  I told her that our feelings about what she does aren't the same as our feelings about her.  That we can be angry or frustrated at her actions but still love her.  And that no matter what we would always love her and there was nothing she could do to change that.  That mommies and daddies love their children forever.


She looked at me with her "thinking face" (lips pursed and eyes serious) and says, "Like at Barrett's doctor for his helmet.  When you said that I keep growing even though you want to keep me little forever because I'll always be your baby.  But I keep growing."

I'm quiet at this point because I want to see where she's going with this.

Britton continues, "I will always keep growing.  Like you and Daddy will always love me."  Yes, I replied.  Just like that.

"And how long will we will love you, Britton?"

"Forever, Mommy."

And then I hugged her tight as all get out and willed myself not to cry while we read books.  Damn, I love this kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment