Wednesday, July 17, 2013

britton's 4th birthday quilt


As you may or may not know, I started making birthday quilts for Britton around her second birthday (I didn't start quilting until she was over a year old).  Previously I made her the Bee Quilt (see here) and the Calendar Quilt (see here) for her birthdays in years past.  

I've been working on this quilt for about a year now.  Well, not continuously working on it!  I fell in love with the "Ruby" fabric line from Bonnie and Camille, but of course I discovered it only after it became difficult to find.  I was able to track down two charm packs on Etsy, then found the robin's egg blue pin dot border and red scallop binding fabric at my quilt shop in Texas.  The main colors are red, pink, robins egg blue, grey, and cream, and the combo of all of them is perfect for Britton.  I started this quilt when we lived in Texas but made little progress on it!  Other quilts took precedent, and then suddenly Britton's birthday was nearing and I needed to get this quilt finished fast.  And I'm so glad I did!  

The pattern is "Dilly Dally," also by Bonnie and Camille, and is the first quilt pattern I ever bought.  I just couldn't face all the math in figuring it out myself!  


I quilted it in my loopy free motion quilting, which just makes the entire quilt snuggly and crinkly and perfect.


Here is the border and binding.  I have binding material left over, and you can bet that it will turn up in future projects.  



The backing is a cherry fabric from JoAnns.  Confession time:  I have been eyeing this fabric for a long long long time.  I usually wait for fabrics to not be on sale at JoAnns, because then I get to use my 40% off coupon (when JoAnns puts fabrics on sale, it's usually only 30% off and you can't use a coupon).  But this fabric is always on sale!  But for $4.89 a yard, it was still a steal, so I grabbed it up for the backing and it just makes the quilt.  And the fabric is so ridiculously soft.  I plan on going back to JoAnns and stocking up on this cherry fabric because I love it so much!


No comments:

Post a Comment