Wednesday, July 13, 2011

quilting "bee"

I have been working my butt off on sewing a quilt for Britton for her birthday. I haven't yet graduated from baby-sized quilts, mainly because I lack the focus and motivation required for a quilt that takes months instead of weeks to complete. I was originally working on a pinwheel quilt for my boss's fourth baby, due in October. But he left, so the quilt became Britton's first quilt. As in, the quilt Britton would have gotten for her first birthday if I knew how to quilt then. I figured she won't know I backpedaled and did it about 23 months too late.




The fabric for the backing is the first backing I have used that isn't found in the quilt top itself. Everyone, from the lady cutting fabric to the cashier, asked me what I was using it for and gushed how cute it is. If I ever doubted my decision, I didn't by the time I left the store.



And I love how it turned out. Problem is, I haven't finished it yet. And I promised myself I wouldn't start a new quilt without finishing the last, and well, it turns out I lied. Because do you remember this fabric?



I got ants in my pants to cut it into squares and preview how it would look. As it turns out, awful. The red was way too much, the fabrics were too busy, and as the hub put it, it looked like a hot mess. So I scouted out my fabric store and decided on gingham instead of the checked, and black and white only instead of red. I really wanted the bees to be the center of attention. And while at it, why not try some embroidery?

So I've spent the last week or so sewing it together and then quilting it. The backing is Kona bone, which I bought by accident for the pinwheel quilt. I wanted the pinwheel to be white, not off-white (I know, who notices? But I would!) so this "accident" turned out to be perfect for this bee quilt.



Not just embroidery, it was also my first foray into binding (the edging). And I love how it turned out!




So I have officially finished Britton's Second Birthday Bee Quilt, but not yet her First Birthday Pinwheel Quilt. Whoops! Did I mention I've already bought fabric for her Third Birthday quilt? It's going to be adorable too, and may well be finished 11 months before her third birthday. Dang it all I need a hobby! Oh, wait....

No comments:

Post a Comment