Thursday, July 18, 2013

scrappy summer quilt



I was checking out my favorite quilting blogs and ran across this one here - Cluck Cluck Sew's Scrappy Summer quilt.  The colors, the simple four square blocks of white and solid, and the chance to use my scraps all made me want to make this quilt.  So I got down to business, cutting out squares and squares and squares of my fabric stash.  This quilt has squares of the first and second quilts I ever made, every dress I've ever made Britton, every quilt I've made Britton, and some fabrics I had no idea I even had!  It's a virtual "Where's Waldo?" of past projects.

And for the first time, I have pictures of the progress!  I don't know why I don't photograph the process, but I think it comes down to two reasons: one, I take photos to document the quilts and I know how I made them, and two, I don't have a quilt blog so it's not like I'm trying to teach people how to quilt through photos.  But I wanted to show Jessica and Memaw this quilt in progress, because I was so excited about how it was turning out!



The binding is a red pin dot (I have pin dot squares in blue, green, brown, and grey in the quilt) and the backing is the same incredibly soft butter yellow sheet from Target I used for Memaw's purple and black quilt.  I did my loopy free motion quilting because I wanted the quilt to be all crinkly and snuggly.


Britton asked me who the quilt is for, which is funny because I don't keep any of my quilts.  Either they are made as gifts or they are donated to charity, but it seems that even if I don't have a plan for a quilt the quilt finds its way to a home that isn't mine.  Imagine Britton's surprise when I told her it was ours!


And Sadie just had to sneak a snuggle too.  Doesn't she look so guilty?  Or crabby, I'm not sure.


This is my last quilt for a while.  My maternity leave is up in two weeks, and I'm moving into some handmade Christmas presents that oddly enough are not quilts!  But I'll keep checking out my quilt blogs, because who knows where the next quilt inspiration will come from?

1 comment: