Tuesday, June 11, 2013

mommy/baby

Remember when I said that Britton was treating her Dora doll like her baby?  Here she is, using the Boppy pillow, feeding her "baby" and being quite proud of herself for being a mommy.  And it's adorable, watching her imitate me.  I knew close to nothing about babies when I had Britton.  I never had a younger sibling, my closest cousin Stephanie is a year and a half younger than me so we basically grew up together, and I didn't babysit newborns.  In fact, the first time I babysat Garrett as a newborn (THIRTEEN years ago, heaven help me I'm old), Jessica came home to find me in tears because I was unable to get him to stop crying for the entire time she was gone.  I don't know if Britton will remember being three years old, but I do hope she remembers how she learned how to take care of a baby.


Britton helped me get Barrett set up on her old activity mat.  Granted, he's still a bit young to get it, but it kept him entertained for ten minutes.  



And then the regression/sibling rivalry/whatever you want to call it came on strong.  Once Barrett was out of the activity mat, Britton was in.  And asking for a bottle of pink lemonade.  The hubs and I have taken a relaxed approach with Britton wanting a bottle/pacifier/baby blanket/whatever the baby has - we don't make a big deal of it, so in turn it will hold less intrigue for her.  Lord knows that the one thing I tell Britton she can't have is the one thing she suddenly can't live without.  


She's simultaneously learning how to be a mommy and how to be a sister.  Did I mention that I know even less about three year olds than I do about babies?


No comments:

Post a Comment