Friday, June 7, 2013

1 month old


We made it to a month!  Whew, this newborn thing is hard - how did I forget so easily?  Let's talk about eating.  This boy can put it away.  When we had to use formula for treating his jaundice, I started pumping to keep up my milk supply.  But Barrett had a taste for the easy eating of bottles and refused to get back on the boobs.  I tried pumping but I couldn't keep up with his appetite, so now we are using formula only.  It was a hard decision, but in the end I just didn't want to fight him to keep him breastfed.  He eats anywhere from 2 ounces to 4 ounces, every 2 to 3 hours.  At night he was being lazy and only eating 2 ounces, but that led to him eating every 1.5 to 2 hours, so now I make him cry a little to really wake up!  If he gets at least 3.5 ounces, he will sleep for 3 hours at a time.  I'm still sleeping on the couch because a 2 story house makes warming bottles hard.  The last thing I need in my sleep-deprived state is to fall down the stairs!  We were trying to ease him into a new formula, but once I get to 2.5 ounces of the new formula he starts puking it up.  So his doctor suggested we keep him on the Alimentum for now, and move him to a more substantial formula in a month or two.  That way his digestive system has a chance to calm down. 

We had the one month well baby visit this morning.  Barrett is now 12 pounds, 14.8 ounces (97th percentile) and 23.5 inches long (off the charts).  His head is 39.5 cm, and his big head bump from being birthed has gone down dramatically.  No shots yet - the doctor is waiting on immunizations until next month.

Now that he has reached 4 weeks we are starting his Eat-Activity-Sleep routine.  It's not a hard and fast routine, since Barrett still wants to eat more at times and less at other times.  And I refuse to wake a sleeping baby just because a routine says he should be up!  Hopefully, once he gets to a longer stretch at nights I can return to my bed upstairs.  Oh bed, I have missed you!


Likes:  eating, being warm, being held, swaddling, looking at black and white pictures, riding in the car

Dislikes:  waiting to eat, gas bubbles

No comments:

Post a Comment