Tuesday, March 31, 2015

order up!

Memaw asked me if I would make some springtime placemats for her.  Of course!  I had seen this "Campers" quilt by Amy Bradley, and shamelessly copied was inspired by her designs.  Her design is an entire quilt with eight different campers.  I copied the pictures, then enlarged them on the work copier and cut out the pieces to use as templates.  The pieces are secured down by fusible web and a tight zig zag stitch around each border.

I added buttons for interest, and did my loopy free motion quilting for the "sky" and back and forth motion for the "grass."  

Blues and greens....and of course more gingham!


The flowers in the flower box are embroidered pieces you can by at Joann.  I stitched the "The Bogles" sign with cross-stitching floss.  The binding is leftover from a plastic bag catcher I made for Jessica.  The batting is one layer of regular cotton batting and a layer of Insul-Brite, which allows you to place hot items on it without hurting your table.  I also use Insul-Brite in my potholders.


Memaw loved them!  I'm afraid she'll be worried about actually using them as placemats, so I made the backing a sage solid so she can flip them over for use.  When she just wants her table to look pretty, she can flip them back to the fronts.  How cute are these?  If applique wasn't so time-consuming, I'd make more!

1 comment: