Thursday, March 19, 2015

the lily quilt


Another baby quilt done!  This is the third, and final (maybe, if my co-workers settle down) baby quilt. This one is for Charlie, whose wife is having a baby girl.  In their family they name all the first-born girls Elizabeth, and they have decided to give her the nickname Lily.  I discovered this quilt on Cluck Cluck Sew, and she had designed it as a Valentine's Day quilt. I loved the color scheme (turquoise, pink, lavender, and orange), and how sweet it would be as a baby quilt.  I'd love to see it in a scrappy version too, like this one.

I found this sweet backing, and it and the binding were the only fabrics I had to purchase.  All of the hearts were made from scraps!



I quilted it with my all-over loopy free-motion quilting.  Surely a favorite of mine!  In the bottom right corner, I quilted "Lily" with a little heart at the end, in pale pink thread.  I drew it on with a disappearing marker, then quilted right over it.


A went with a classic for the binding - polka dots!  I found this binding when I bought the backing, and it matches the backing's bright pink perfectly.  I wish I had had it when I was making the quilt (I bought the backing when I was finished), because it would have made a beautiful heart.


Lily is due to make her debut in late May, so this quilt must wait patiently to be gifted.  I hope they love it as much as I do!  Such a sweet quilt for a first baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment