Wednesday, October 23, 2013

the jessica birthday quilt, going coastal style

Tired of quilts yet?  I hope not!


When Jessica was visiting after Barrett was born, she mentioned how much she liked the quilt that I had made my mom.  Specifically, that she liked the "Going Coastal" fabric line I used for it.  That sparked something in me, and with the time I had off this summer I decided to start on a quilt for Jessica.  I quickly figured out the pattern - "Niner" by Bonnie and Camille.  Then I went to order the fabric.  And wouldn't you know, "Going Coastal" wasn't in stock anymore.  So I ended up on Etsy, tracking down all the different fabrics from the line that I could find.


Oh, and every time those crabs showed up at my door, I got excited!  This quilt is lap-sized, great for snuggling on the couch.  I started cutting into the fabrics before I knew what size block they would make, so I ended up altering the pattern to accommodate the larger blocks.  I threw in some solids and small-prints too to go with the fabrics and let the "Going Coastal" fabrics stand out.  


Our birthday isn't until next Monday, but I went ahead and sent this quilt to Jessica when I found out she was mailing my gifts to me.  And she loved it!  Happy 35th birthday, Jessica - you'll always be [five minutes] older than me! :)

1 comment:

  1. "Mentioned" those fabrics to you?? More like hinted obnoxiously that I wanted that quilt so bad I would possibly sell my children for it! :) It's beautiful--thank you!

    ReplyDelete