Monday, December 31, 2012

wvu quilt

This quilt started out as something completely different!  I wanted to make a scrap quilt, and I decided on the Sixteen Tons quilt here.  So I started in on the 4 x 4 squares, but then I stumbled upon this quilt here.  It uses the 4 x 4 blocks, but then adds the x's.  The pattern is called "Arkansas Crossroads."

This quilt is my charity quilt for 2013.  I was a member of a group in law school called PIA - Public Interest Advocates.  The group raises money to place law students in summer internships where the business doesn't have the funds to pay for their own interns.  We placed interns with the public defenders office (criminal), legal aid (civil), environmental groups, and non-profits.  Every year they hold an auction, which is the biggest fundraiser they have.  I was a PIA intern for two summers in both the legal aid office and the public defenders office, and I loved it.  So this year I decided to make a WVU baby quilt to be auctioned off at their annual auction.


Some details - each little square is 2.5 inches, making each quilt block 8 inches square.  I straight-line quilted it, 1/4 inch off each white sashing edge, and then up and down through the center blocks.  The scraps come from my scrap bin and Memaw's old stash.  These fabrics brought back memories of past projects.


I didn't have enough fabric for binding - I was originally going to use the navy and white polka dot fabric.  So I went to JoAnns and found this yellow and blue star fabric, which reminded me of snowflakes.


The backing is fleece, and the first time I've ever used fleece.  I thought it might make quilting difficult, but there were no problems.  In hindsight, I probably didn't need to use batting, as the fleece would have been soft and thick enough, but I did so the quilt just turned out extra cushiony.


She got a kiss this morning and sent off the law school for the their auction.  I always miss every quilt I make, but this one was especially hard to give up.  It helps to remind myself that it never really belonged to me, plus it's going to a good cause!

1 comment:

  1. I love that pattern! However, it'd look a lot better in orange and black :)

    ReplyDelete