Friday, December 21, 2012

it's the end of the world as we know it

Look, I'm not some crazed apocalypse prepper, though I do admit that I've always had some trepidation about December 21, 2012.  I remember seeing that 2012 movie with Nicholas Cage a couple years back and thinking not only how bad the movie was, but how scary the whole prospect was.  But then the hype died down and I never heard much, except when television shows presented these people as freak shows instead of people with a legitimate concern.  I figured there was no point in being petrified of something I had no control over.

And so it got to last week, to the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, to the father in Texas who carved a pentagram into his six-year-old child's back with a box cutter, and it just got to be too much.  I don't think Old Faithful will erupt, I don't think a solar storm will evaporate the atmosphere, but seriously, what do I know?  Nothing.  Because I didn't think anyone would ever shoot an entire kindergarten class to death either.  And there's a lot of people out there who think the world will end, and there won't be any earthly consequences to despicable behavior.  I kept Britton with me today to protect her from the crazies, plain and simple.

We started our morning early at McDonalds, with Big Pancake breakfasts.  Everyone knows crazies don't get up early.  That's their universal rule, right?


Then we went grocery shopping and to the library.  And by the time we got home from the library, we had quite a lot of snow sticking!  Now, this was a little worrisome because everyone knows that adverse weather conditions are a sure sign of pre-apocalyse.  But, you know, it IS winter and it IS Pennsylvania, so I didn't read too much into it!


If the world does end, I want to be on Britton's snow seal sled when it does!


Our miniature snowman, Frosty.  We raided the hub's hardware box for screw eyes and a picture wire mouth.  Britton is in love with Frosty, and if he's still here in the morning (frankly, if any of us are here, let's be honest) she might try and convince me to let her bring him into the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment