Sunday, December 2, 2012

40 months old



Another day, another princess dress.  We've made the rule that the princess dresses don't go to school (it's not prohibited, but we think it must be awfully distracting) and to that end, Britton strips upon entering the house after school, and dons a princess dress.  Every day.  Weekends are free reign (as you saw from our outing to the Carnegie Science Center).  

Britton has gotten into full-on stories of role playing.  She will pretend to be Ariel and wants me to play Eric, or she will be Snow White and I'm a dwarf, and then she tells me what to say as my assigned character.  It's one of those non-riveting parts of parenting that nobody warns you about, because in essence I am simply repeating back Britton's words to her in a deep voice.  And mentally escaping to my happy place.



Britton is still growing so fast.  She's in size 5 and 6 clothes, and size 10.5 for shoes.  I just bought her tap shoes for a ballet/tap/tumbling class I signed her up for come January, and I about cried over how cute these tiny tap shoes were!  Blame the pregnancy, but I am downright nostalgic over everything about Britton.  I have a newfound fear of her growing up too fast and me missing it.  For that one, I'll blame the pregnancy hormones!


Here are Britton's photography skills at work!  She didn't want to take her monthly picture until I bribed her with the ability to take her own pictures with my camera.  There are over 20 of this picture on my camera, with some shots of the floor and window thrown in.


But just giving in on that little thing got me what I wanted.  Sometimes Britton has her moments that the hub and I refer to as "the alcoholic stepfather."  Meaning, there's no rhyme or reason to what will set her off, but if you do you're going to pay.  It could be as meaningless (to you) as who opened the yogurt or if the red cup was used for milk, but doing it wrong, even if there is no "wrong," will result in you paying for your indiscretion.  

Though, as the same time, Britton is more in control of her feelings, generally.  If she steps on my foot or accidentally hurts one of us, she apologizes now without being prompted.  She asks politely for things she wants, and doesn't throw fits when told no.   And she's starting to become more patient, waiting her turn without issues.


Likes:  the movie "Brave," the playground/park, eating in restaurants, riding on the hub's shoulders, being included in a decision, Sadie dog, checking on her bathroom progress every day, white yogurt (but not white ice cream), Little Debbie Christmas tree snack cakes, helping out

Dislikes:  stink bugs, not much else

Books:  "Best Friends Wear Pink Tutus" by Sherri Brownrigg, "Polite as a Princess" by Melissa Lagonegro et al, "Baby Bird's First Nest" by Frank Asch, and "Are You Asleep, Rabbit?" by Alison Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment