Wednesday, May 23, 2012

feeling crafty

I've been loving mercury glass. For Thanksgiving I made "faux mercury glass" votive holders based off of a Martha Stewart tutorial, and they turned out well. Turns out all you need is Krylon Looking Glass spray paint!

The other day I got the idea of combining mercury glass and an old wooden frame window. But, turns out I don't have an old wooden frame window. So I hopped onto Craigslist and found one! I brought it home and set it up on some sawhorses. First I hosed all the dirt and grime off, then I taped off the window panes.


Look at that old peeling paint.  I love it.  What lead paint?


Just spray the panes with a water bottle, covering the panes with little drops of water, then spray the Looking Glass spray paint in multiple coats. After it dries, just wipe off the paint that had water trapped under it - it makes it look like old mercury glass. I also sponged on some grey paint to give it an even older look.




Originally, I was going to put it above the fireplace, leaning on the mantel.  The window is too heavy to hang anywhere, without some major work.  But then I decided to put it on the front hall console table.  It just seemed like it belonged there.


On the sewing front, I've been inundated with ideas for quilts - way more quilts that I can ever make.  I've laid out one baby quilt, collected fabric for another baby quilt, and finally decided on the pattern for my "Salt Air" charm packs...


I have no idea what the pattern of that block is, but I was instantly excited when I saw it.  I've had trouble finding the right pattern for this fabric, mainly because I don't want anything too precious or, on the other hand, too difficult and time-consuming.  Here's the rest of the fabrics from the line...


And I'm finally quilting my granny squares quilt!  I was steadily making these blocks every day, but there's 20 total and it just took a while.  I finally got the top put together, and now I'm hoping to have it finished by next week.


Here's the backing for the granny squares quilt.  I found it in a wood chest from Memaw, and I liked that it incorporated so many colors.


And, finally, a square from the granny squares quilt inspired this start.  Sixteen 2.5 inch squares per block. Twenty blocks in the quilt.  Colors look familiar?  They should to any Mountaineers fans.......


More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment