Monday, May 14, 2012

cammy's quilt

Back in November I ordered fabric from the "Going Coastal" line with the intent of making my mom a quilt.  She lives at the beach and isn't a "pastel" kind of gal, so I knew the theme and colors would be perfect for her.  The holidays and life in general got in the way, and add to that the entire month it took to finish my sister's quilt, and I couldn't get a quilt finished for Cammy for Christmas. So, I decided to set my sights on Mother's Day.


I was having the most trouble with a pattern! I bought fat quarters (18" by 21" pieces of fabric), not precut squares or strips. So every option was open, which made it that much harder. I didn't want anything too small - certainly didn't want to chop up those adorable crabs! So I decided on a disappearing nine-patch pattern.

I added the sand-colored border because when I got the quilt pieced together, it was just too small for a lap quilt.  I'm a big fan of quilts at least reaching the entire length of your body, because what good is a quilt if it doesn't keep your toes warm?


Anyone recognize that backing fabric?  It's our "tablecloth" from Thanksgiving!  I knew I wanted to use it on a quilt, and the orange just fit this quilt so well.  There wasn't enough fabric (only 3 yards), so I pieced together some leftover patterned fabric, tan from the front, and leftover white.


I straight-line quilted 1/4 inch on either side of the blocks...


Then did my loopy free motion quilting on the border.  I love those crabs so much that they ended up in both of my granny squares quilts!


The binding was the incredible madras plaid fabric from the collection.  It had every color from the fabrics within it, and as the Big Lebowski Quilter might say, "Really tied the quilt together!"

No comments:

Post a Comment