Monday, January 2, 2012

twenty-nine months old



We are trying ridiculously hard to get back in the saddle of life after our extended Christmas vacation, but it is hard! Britton has had two four-day weekends in a row, I haven't worked since December 22nd, and I think we're all ready to get on track. As for the last month, Britton has been about the same as usual! This year we got really excited for Christmas because Britton knew about Santa and requested presents. Plus, she learned a ton of Christmas songs, and still sings them to this day at the top of her lungs in the bath tub. "Frosty the Snowman" always followed by "Happy Birthday."

Britton is currently 36.2 pounds, which we found out because we had to take her to the doctor the Friday before Christmas. She had a cold for the previous week, and you just know if you don't take them to the doctor then suddenly a cold is a double ear infection and bronchitis. Of course, because we took her to the doctor it was nothing! She can count to 20 in English and 13 in Spanish. Britton knows all her colors and can identify all the letters of the alphabet. And she can spell her name, but not write it yet (even though she pretends to). We are still potty training passively, as she has accidents in underwear and I just don't share the daycare's assessment that she is ready to go without pull-ups. Maybe if I put her on the potty every 30 minutes like they do, but that's not happening.

Britton is currently obsessed with all things Dora or the Disney princesses. She can name all the princesses and their dress colors, though she says "Sleeping Beauty" like "Sleeping Booty" and it drives me into giggle fits. FYI - did you know that Ariel (her favorite princess) has 6 sisters? Aquata, Andrina, Arista, Attina, Adella, and Alana. Things you learn when you have a daughter! And that girl loves stickers, especially stickers of the Disney princesses, of which we have an extreme amount. She's still coloring and loves her horse coloring book she got in her stocking. And Memaw and PawPaw got her a train set which she can operate herself.



That's probably the biggest development - independence. She doesn't want help and she can do it herself, as she will tell you many many many times. And, honestly, sometimes she can't and she gets really frustrated. So it goes like this:

Me: "Do you want me to help you put on your bumble bee costume?" (Seriously people, EVERY DAY)
Britton: "NO!!! Me do it."
Me: "Ok."
Britton: "I do it! Myself."
Me: "Ok."
Britton: (after struggling) "Mommy, you help me do it."

And if she's been especially spiteful the hub is inclined to gloat and point, but we're riding it out by just letting her do it herself without our input. Until she asks for it, of course!



When I got home from my trip to visit my sister, her family, and my mom, I set out their Christmas gifts for Britton. She loved having more gifts to open and was so excited. But come Sunday morning, she got into bed with us, turned over, and in all seriousness says, "Mommy, I go open my presents now." Ha! I explained that we didn't get presents every day, that Christmas was over. Bubble burst.




Likes: meat, lemonade, popsicles, wearing the bumble bee costume at all times, not napping, her Dora pajamas, cole slaw, honeycrisp apples

Dislikes: wearing jeans, wearing shoes, wearing socks, wearing pull-ups, sometimes she just detests being dressed at all (see monthly pictures above), wearing her jacket when it's cold, being unable to do something

And she just made my night tonight when we were putting Disney princess stickers on the Disney princesses in her activity pad, and she pointed to the Ariel and Prince Eric sticker and said, "Mommy and Daddy." Can I just for one day be the person my daughter believes me to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment