Tuesday, January 17, 2012

margaret's hope chest

I decided a couple of months ago that I wanted to do some charity quilts in 2012. We donate money to charity, donate used items to Goodwill - but I wanted to actually DO something that would have an impact, even a little impact, on a real person. I'm not the kind to volunteer in a soup kitchen, so why not put a hobby to work?

I checked quilting blogs to see where people donated their quilts. Some charities came up over and over again, and their needs seemed covered by different quilting groups. I looked into domestic abuse shelters and nursing homes, though it seems that unfortunately those donated quilts walk off with workers more than get used by those in need.

I found Margaret's Hope Chest (read more here) and instantly felt connected. They match you with a child who has a parent in prison, and you make a quilt using their guidelines. For instance, my girl is ten years old, and loves pink, purple, butterflies, and daisies. I make the quilt then send it to her on her birthday, with a card written with her father's birthday message to her, since essentially the gift is from the parent in prison. I admit, I have a soft spot for innocent victims, and none are more innocent than a child who didn't ask for a parent to be sent to prison and absent from her life. Plus, with my public defender background, I feel connected to those families going through such a difficult thing.

Her birthday isn't until June, but I jumped right on this project. The focus material of butterflies (center of blocks and border) is Michael Miller's "Wings of Peace," the pinks and purples are various fat quarters and scraps, and the cream is Kona in Bone. The back is a pink fabric with daisies.

Sadie approves of this quilt.




Striped binding. It just went with the butterflies so well!



I quilted it in the same loopy free motion style as my Strawberry Fields quilt, so that she could use it as a bedspread if she wanted.



I hope to do at least one other charity quilt this year. Hopefully this quilt gives Erika happiness on her birthday this year.

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful! You are so nice! Keep up the good work, especially for those of us who didn't take to quilting so well (never could get a nice even binding....). And when I do a hands-on hobby, like crochet, food can't fit in my hands along with my crochet hook! It's a win-win :)

    ReplyDelete