Sunday, January 8, 2012

a cowboy quilt and picture

Now that this quilt has safely arrived to its destination, I can finally share it with you! I will admit, I did A LOT of quilting for Christmas. One for my family, one for Jessica, one for Memaw, and so why not just throw in another quilt? Josh's cousin Randi is having a boy in March (her second son), and this cowboy fabric just called to me. It's called "King of the Ranch" by Moda, and admittedly it may seem a little "grown up" for a baby quilt. But Randi's husband is a cattle buyer and they live on land, so it made perfect sense to me. Plus, they don't strike me as the "too precious" type!

Yes, my Christmas Stars quilt pattern! It just fit this fabric so well.



Here's the back. I resisted the temptation to use blue, and I'm so glad I did. Memaw helped me pick this out - maroon with horseshoes (and it's not even from the same collection of fabrics as the front).



Whoops! Ran out of materials for the back, so I pieced together some of the brown polka dot binding material and left over charm squares.



Which of course means I didn't have enough binding material. So I used some rope material on the corners, and I think it turned out well. Machine stitched the borders, then hand stitched the stars.



And did I share CJ's quilt? CJ is "Caroline, Jr" - Caroline's American Girl doll - and you might remember her when she came to visit in June. I made her a little quilt for Christmas too.



And finally, my last ounce of creativity. And still a little cowboy influence. I got wooden frames from Target, and then painted them tan. After they dried, I sanded down the edges, then smeared some grey paint on to age the look. The picture is from our photo session for our Christmas card picture.



Funny story - Caroline looked at this frame and said, "I don't know why stores think people want a frame that looks old and used. Why would someone want to buy something that has chips all in the paint?" Jessica and I just laughed because we both have a soft spot for "shabby chic" and it seems Caroline might not!

No comments:

Post a Comment