Tuesday, May 19, 2009

ladies who lunch



Wikipedia defines "ladies who lunch" as: a phrase to describe slim, well-off, old-money, well-dressed women who meet for lunch socially, normally during the working week. Typically, the women involved are married and non-working. Normally the lunch is in a restaurant, perhaps in a department store during shopping. Sometimes there is the pretext of raising money for charity.

Does this describe me and Sadie? Not really. Sadie is used to staying home all day, but she previously slept all day in her doggie playpen while the hub and I were at work. Now she has me home, bugging her and moving on the couch, when all she wants to do still is sleep. Sadie has taken to the back patio, sunning herself until she gets too hot and then moving indoors for more *you guessed it* sleeping.

I've been trying to make my days useful and I've now found that I am inventing errands to have something to plan to do. The nursery is basically finished, and there's not much I can do until the mattress and chair are delivered in a couple of weeks. I feel a little superstitious, but I just can't take the tags off the clothes and wash them. If the worst happened, I could pack up the furniture, but the clothes, carefully chosen for this child, would have to go and I just won't jinx it.

I do set my alarm every day, mostly because if left to my own devices I will sleep all day just because I can. I get up, get dressed, and put on makeup. Anyone who knows me knows my HUGE aversion to pajamas as going-out wear, and I won't ever leave my house wearing sweatpants/pajama pants unless I'm going to the hospital. But the makeup is the important part because it means I'm still trying. It was easy to get dressed, brush my hair, and put on makeup when I was working because I knew I would be seeing people, interacting with colleagues and clients, and I wanted to put my best look out there. But no longer working, maybe seeing a cashier or two, I have no real "reason" to try, except for myself and for the hub. Sadie could really take it or leave it.

And I detest daytime television shows. Ugh. When did TLC get rid of "A Wedding Story"? Now it's four straight hours of "A Baby Story" and "Jon and Kate Plus Eight." And I can't get behind stupid talk shows like Maury Povich, because I don't care who the father is. And shows like "Judge Hatchett" aren't law, so I might as well watch "Law & Order." So, I really only have one have-to watch show per day - "Barefoot Contessa." And today she inspired me!

The nesting is moving into the kitchen! Tomorrow I'm making her Beatty's Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Icing. Then I want to try out her recipe for Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits. Yum. The hub and I have started eating at home more, in an effort to curb the huge eating-out budget we used to enjoy. We make dinner together, take a walk with Sadie, then head home because with my newest round ligament pain I can't walk too far. Tomorrow we'll have dessert of chocolate cake! Then I get to do my glucose test. Maybe the new kitchen nesting is a result of me thinking there's no way I'll pass this glucose test with a twin sister who had gestational diabetes twice?

No comments:

Post a Comment