Tuesday, May 12, 2009

the 26th week



We got to meet my new doctor on Monday. I called for directions to the office and was told that her office is located in Lakeside Hospital. Actually inside of the hospital. That's convenient! Too convenient. The hub and I waited for over an hour because the doctor was delivering a baby downstairs! But, really, if there was ever an excuse for running late....

The doctor is one of ten doctors, all women, who make up the practice. They try to only deliver their own patients, though vacation schedules may dictate another doctor taking over your labor. The doctor is strict! She only does hospital births, which I guess rules out the drug-free home birth in a tub in the middle of the living room experience that the hub and I never wanted in the first place. I've seen my sister give birth twice. I need drugs! I need medical personnel checking on me! I need a craft-matic adjustable bed!

She did point out that as a redhead (she is a redhead too) I was more apt to have end-of-pregnancy high blood pressure and other issues (apparently besides OB, she specializes in "old wives' tales"). How much fun for me! What else does the crystal ball say? Her nurse Stephanie handed me a bottle of "fruit punch" glycola and a half-sheet of vague instructions concerning the glucose test. I pointed out to the doctor that since my identical twin sister had gestational diabetes twice, perhaps we dispense with the one-hour test and go straight for the three-hour test. The doctor disagreed and now I have to do the one-hour test whenever I feel like it in the next three weeks. Huh? I do well with limits. Just tell me when to come in!

I'm measuring right at 26 weeks, which is good since I am 26 weeks. Nurse Stephanie found the heartbeat, going at about 150 beats per minute. She remarked that the doppler she was using was old and on its last leg, and that she was ordering a new one from ebay. Maybe that was a joke?

The doctor is really into birthing classes, so now the hub and I are signing up for the Saturday "what to expect" class that runs from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. I hate that much classroom instruction! And I have to remember to wear comfortable clothing and bring two pillows (for my nap in the back of the room). Hmmmm....... We're also taking infant CPR and breastfeeding (just me, folks).

All in all I think the doctor is going to work out. She rules that office, and I like that she's quite the powerhouse. And her nurse and student doctor are sweet and talkative.

In other news, we're moving ahead on all things baby! The hub put together the stroller and swing because he couldn't stand having any more cardboard boxes in the house. I painted and hung two shelves in the room. We're waiting on the rocker-glider and mattress....4-6 weeks..... patience, Carrie, patience. I keep reminding myself that it's a good thing the store ordered the chair and mattress so I wasn't stuck with floor models, but really I'm kind of an instant-gratification type person.





And we bought a dresser on Mother's Day and got a great deal. The dresser that came with our crib furniture line was $326. Nope. We got this one for almost half that. And if it's anything like what Randy the salesguy claims, it'll last for years and bring our daughter many years of happiness. Is it a dresser or trustfund, Randy?

No comments:

Post a Comment