Tuesday, April 21, 2009

the reward

I just read an interesting article at ABC. Seems there is a new movement in baby delivering called a "push gift." Really. A push gift is a gift that your husband gives you in exchange for all your hard work during labor and delivery. Here's part of the article:

Marty Suttle is one of those mothers, and was happy to receive a matching amethyst necklace and bracelet from her husband when she gave birth to her now 14-month-old son Christopher in January 2008.

"I did get a push present," Suttle, who resides with her family in Raleigh, N.C., told ABCNews.com. "My husband liked the idea and surprised me."


There is a divided camp among women (when isn't there?) as some women argue that it's the baby that is the gift. Ahem. I know that's politically correct and all - that the pushing the sweating and tearing are all forgotten in the beauty of holding your child for the first time. And I am sure, without having experienced it, but having witnessed it, that it is amazing and an experience one never forgets. But it seems that the notion that the baby is the gift leaves one thing out - I have to share it. Spoken like a true twin.

But isn't that the point? Did I keep track of every bout of morning sickness, every ligament pain, every headache and bloody nose blowing and ache and mind-drowning fatigue moment just so I could point it out in the end and say to the hub, "I win." No. And I think as two adults we are both acutely aware that the pushing IS hard, and that I am the one who has to do it. And the best part is I have someone beside me who wanted this baby too, who wanted to delight in my growing belly and hear stories and statistical information from my pregnancy books and go to the doctor appointments and go buy me gatorade when I couldn't keep anything down. He went to the gas station at midnight for the coke I had to have now, and rubbed my feet when they ballooned, and picks up the heavy stuff at the store. We're doing this thing together.

So, while I will take credit where it is due, I'm not about to ask the hub to waste a good portion of our joint checking account on some jewelry. A massage gift certificate and a pedicure on the other hand......those I'll take with glee!

No comments:

Post a Comment