Friday, April 17, 2009

the doctor is in



One of my biggest fears upon learning we were moving to Oklahoma was about my medical coverage. At first, I considered I may have to pay for COBRA, which would probably come to the grand sum of the baby's college education. Then, I figured maybe we would just have to go to an OB/GYN and haggle, gypsy flea market style. I mean, who turns down cash? But luckily, the hub's insurance does not consider pregnancy a pre-existing condition, and they will welcome me with open arms (once I am no longer employed, of course). My last day being April 27th, I just don't feel comfortable going one minute without health insurance. We're flying to Oklahoma on April 28th to do the house walk-through and closing, then returning on April 30th. Come Friday, May 1st, the movers are packing everything up and leaving the next day, Saturday. That means that come May 3rd, Josh and I are driving the 14 hours (with mandatory leg blood clot preventative walks at rest areas) to Oklahoma City. That's a lot of traveling in one week, and I cannot be uninsured. That's inevitably when something goes wrong. I can get insurance on 500 rental cars - the one time I don't is when some fool runs into me. That's the way the world works!

So, luckily, I will have the insurance. And then, I needed the doctor. I've heard stories about how OB/GYNs won't take someone as far along as I am. I understand - they fear you haven't been under a doctor's care until now, there will be complications, the doctor already has enough patients delivering in August, etc. But the guy who manages the development of the neighborhood we are moving into suggested his wife's OB/GYN. And they have 7 children. I figure that if you like your OB/GYN enough to go back 7 times, she must be good.

I will take this moment to state that yes, my OB/GYN must be a female. I need a tattoo artist who actually has tattoos himself, know what I mean? I don't take my car to a mechanic who doesn't own a car. So, I'm excited this doctor comes recommended and is a woman!

I called her office yesterday to make sure she is accepting patients (yes!) and takes the hub's insurance (yes again!) and then I mention I'm 22 weeks pregnant. "We'll have to get back to you. I'll have to check with the doctor to make sure we can accept you." Worse than waiting to find out if I got into college!* But they called this morning, and I've been accepted! No thick envelope in the mailbox about cafeteria plans and dorms, but thrilling nonetheless. Whew!

*Proud 2001 graduate of Virginia Tech. Thinking about the Hokies during this solemn anniversary time.

No comments:

Post a Comment