Sunday, September 7, 2014

saxonburg festival of the arts

Memaw and PawPaw came to visit this weekend, and we all went out to the Saxonburg Festival of the Arts.  Truth be told, I had no idea that either (1) Saxonburg existed or (2) it had an arts festival.  But the hubs and I had driven around last weekend and saw signs for a quilt show, so when I looked it up, I discovered the arts festival.  Only about 25 minutes away, and it advertised some great segments - antique tractors, woodworking, food trucks, Civil War reenactment (because you know that's how we roll), and ikebana.  And if you have to google "ikebana" to figure out what it is, I'll save you the trouble (since I had to google it too).  It's the Japanese art of living flower arrangement.  Yeah, we didn't seek it out.

I've never been to the town of Saxonburg, and this place blew me away!  I loved all the old buildings, and all the businesses were open, so we got to see antique shops and such.  



This is a hotel and restaurant on the main road.


Britton hunted down some face painting, and went with a blue-haired unicorn.  


Pumpkin funnel cake and fresh-squeezed lemonade!  When we lived in Texas, I fell in love with food trucks.  There was so much competition there that the food trucks had to be incredible to stay in business.  And it was a great way to try out new foods.  Saxonburg?  Um, it was funnel cakes, chicken on a stick, and walking tacos (Frito pie, for anyone who doesn't live in Pennsylvania and is going "What the heck is a walking taco?").  


And while the hubs and PawPaw scored some good chili, Barrett fell in love with Memaw's kettle corn.  Memaw timed it exactly right and got the fresh batch coming straight out of the kettle.  It was heavenly!


I could have spent hours picking through all the awesome antiques.  The prices were fantastic, and it was like Etsy was just spread out garage-sale-style in front of me.  But I really wanted to see the quilt show.  

Britton and I loved "the swan quilt."  The note says that the quilter hand-quilted this 100" x 100" quilt while she was recovering from knee surgery.  HAND QUILTED.  Tiny tiny stitches.  


Some of the pretty quilts...



I read in the pamphlet that this quilter is 91 years old now, and this "southern belle" quilt was the last quilt she made.  The appliqué was flawless.


Next to the food trucks were some booths, with handmade hair bows, slate signs, autumn decorations, wreaths, and the top-seller - American Girl doll clothes.  I spotted this cowgirl-style dress, with pinafore and under roos, and when I saw it was only $12 I snatched it up quick!  The quality was impressive, and I really wish I had bought some more dresses, because there were a ton of cute options.


Memaw treated Britton to the headband (which she is still wearing, sound asleep in bed).  Can't wait to go back next year!  But this time, I'll bring a trailer for the antiques, and more cash for American Girl doll clothes!

No comments:

Post a Comment