Thursday, September 25, 2014

faking an antique: the red and white quilt


I remember, a long time ago, my sister and I were driving through Rappahannock, Virginia or somewhere around there.  There was an antique store on the side of the road, with a sign that read, "ANTIQUES: MADE DAILY."  Yep, true story.  So while this brand new just-made quilt looks like an antique red and white quilt, it isn't.  Everything old is new again.  I'm so very in love with it!

Lately I've really been interested in antique quilts.  Add in my new appreciation for solids, and when I saw this quilt I knew it was on my to-do list.  A combination of snowball and nine-patch blocks - so simple yet so pretty.

Both solids are Kona, with the white being "Snow" and the red is "Rich Red."  I added a small red border and the wider white border to bring the quilt to a true twin size.  

I straight-line stitched crossways in the red, and then (a first for me!) I used a stencil in the middle of the snowball blocks.  This stencil is a continuous stencil, meaning I didn't have to stop sewing to complete the entire stencil.  It's a 5.5 inch interlocking heart design. I really like that from far away, it also looks like a snowflake.


I didn't put a label on this quilt because, well, honestly I forgot.  Instead, I stitched in the date.


Fresh out of the dryer and all crinkly and wrinkly.  I backed the quilt in muslim, making it look even more vintage, and ridiculously cozy and soft.


On the white border, I straight-line stitched rows, trying to keep them as evenly-spaced as possible.


It's now proudly lying at the foot of the guest bed, ready to be shown off to anyone who steps foot in my house.  I would not be surprised if Britton took off with it, because she is a connoisseur of all things snuggly!

No comments:

Post a Comment