Friday, May 16, 2014

the dresden plate quilt


Oh, I've been lazy with my posting lately.  But that's because I've been trudging away at finishing this quilt!  This is my first Dresden plate quilt, and in this case I used a thimble ruler to make fat Dresdens.  Usually a Dresden plate has longer pointier Dresdens, but here they are shorter like a sunflower.  I made the Dresden plates, then sewed them onto squares of white fabric, then appliquéd the centers on.  Once all the squares were finished, I pieced them together with the sashing and the nine-patches.


The material is mostly "Happy Go Lucky" by Bonnie and Camille (yep, I am a little obsessed with their fabric lines!), with some JoAnn staples mixed in.  Truth is, I only had two charm packs (40 or so 5 inch squares), and that wasn't quite enough, and I didn't want to have to order more.  So I took a charm pack to JoAnns to color-match it to some of their fabrics.


I did my all-over loopy free motion quilting.  I originally planned on doing the loopy quilting just outside the actual Dresden plates, then doing a fancy design within the Dresden plates.  But I tried it out and it looked bad, just bad, so I ripped out my stitching and went with the same loopy pattern over everything.  This is one of the biggest quilts I've ever made, maybe the biggest, so quilting it on my regular machine was a struggle!  My neck and arms are sore from wrestling it into the machine.


The backing is a yellow queen-sized sheet.  Doesn't the hubs look excited to be holding a quilt?


I love the binding.  It's from the same fabric line, and the rows are on a diagonal.  Therefore, when I cut it into strips to make binding, it looks like I cut it on the bias.  Score!


Once I get this beauty washed and dried, it's going on the guest bed.  I love how it turned out!  And while I might do another Dresden plate quilt in the future, I've got real reservations about doing such a large quilt ever again!

No comments:

Post a Comment