Thursday, May 22, 2014

how do your children and garden grow?

We've taken advantage of sunny warm weather by playing outside any chance we get.  Barrett is learning how grass feels on bare feet, and I think he likes it!  Every night after dinner we all head to the swing set.  The few nights it's been rainy have turned all our moods sour.  We need the fresh air.  We need the absence of the television noise.  We need to run and learn to walk and laugh and notice the newest blooms.



And we need chalk!  Little chalk footprints that I want to cover in sealant so they stay on the deck forever.


But then work intruded on our play.  And work it was!  Our house had a flower bed running along the front stairs.  It was completely overgrown, with spider-laden blue junipers, half-dead mountain laurels, and weeds.  So the hubs took a shovel and rake to the entire bed and demolished it.



And then I went to Lowes and bought new plants and mulch.  Liriope line the stairs, and I picked two different bushes, one with yellow flowers and one with white flowers.  We left the day lilies because the deer won't eat them, and I love their color.  And I hunted down some lantana at one of the local nurseries.  I left the rocks where they were because I think the flower bed looks natural with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment