Monday, September 17, 2012

where's the party?


The hubs' 34th birthday was Saturday!  I got him a WVU flag he's had his eye on, and maybe even a better gift - the morning off of daddy duty to go shooting.  The hubs belongs to a gun club about 45 minutes north of our house, and this was the first chance he had to get away and really try out his new gun.  I think that excited him more than the flag!

After he got home from shooting, we had hamburgers on the grill for dinner and cake for dessert.  Because it was just the three of us celebrating, I got a small cake to avoid tons of leftovers.  Today, I don't know what I was thinking because I would give my right pinky finger to get another piece of that cake!


Britton helped me shop for plates and candles, which explains the sparkly glittery pink "5" candle on her plate.  No matter that she's not 5, she wanted that candle!  



The hubs and I were talking that night about adult birthdays.  It seems so unfair that after 21, nobody gets excited about your birthday anymore.  Sure, you can throw a party or jet away on a trip, but as an adult you can do that any time.  We put so much into children's birthday parties these days, it's a wonder we don't give ourselves the same treatment.  

I too turn 34 this year, and I admit that it's a hard birthday to get excited about.  I remember talking to my dad before I turned 25, and he told me that 26 was his hardest birthday.  He said that in turning 26, it was the downward spiral to 30.  A few days before I turned 26, I was in an Eat 'N Park taking a survey for a free Smiley cookie.  The age boxes went 18-25, 26-34, 35-44, etc.  It was then that it hit me that I would soon be in the box of "26 through 34."  I cried my eyes out in that booth!  Luckily, Eat 'N Park is not a nice restaurant by any stretch, so no one noticed.

So, as the hubs turns 34, I think we should celebrate that he's still in the "26 through 34" box!  Because, admittedly, next year's not going to be easy for either of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment