Monday, September 3, 2012

the finishing touches: more decorating nonsense

I've lost almost all motivation on changes to this house.  After painting six rooms, hanging 12 curtains, and moving boxes to one floor just to move them to another floor, I'm kaput.  The formal living room looks like a storage closet, but it's just going to have to wait.  In fact, anything else that can/should/will be done will only get accomplished if I hire someone to do it.

But did this defeatist attitude stop me on changing the front door on this humid Saturday morning?  No sir!  Granted, I was on no sleep because Britton decided sleeping was overrated from midnight until about 4:00 am.  But I bucked up and got to changing because man, this door needs CHANGES.

Gold lock, kick plate, lights?  Check.  Muddy raisin plum colored door?  Double check.  Sad Sadie dog peeking out of the left-side window at me taking photos?  Checkity-check-check.


The AFTER!  The paint is "Heirloom Red" by Valspar, the lock is Schlage in rubbed oil bronze, and the kickplate is also rubbed oil bronze.  I've always wanted a red front door!  The door knocker did not get replaced yet because in attempting to get it on the door, I didn't notice that the screw was too long.  The drill whirled the door knocker around, chipping a dent out of the door and scratching the paint.  So I bought some rubbed oil bronze spray paint to paint the old door knocker, and it's currently drying on the kitchen island.



The new outdoor lights are in the garage, waiting on an electrician to install them.  We need to put a ceiling fan in Britton's room because her room is just so still that it feels hot, so I figured if I was going to pay an electrician to come out for that, might as well hit him up for the outdoor lights too.  Speaking of Britton's room...

Remember when I said that I accidentally threw away her wooden name letters?  I tracked down replacements, and they were going to be ridiculously expensive.  I blame pregnancy nesting for needing $9 each letters to begin with!  So I got an inspiration out of nowhere to do a bunting.  I already had the fabric, ric rac, and interfacing, so it cost me nothing!  



And I had been spying on this tree at Target, but hadn't gotten it yet.  When I went to visit Jessica, she had the same tree in Emily's room.  It was so cute in person that I was sold!  It was so easy to put up, unlike the one we had in Britton's room in Texas.


And we also replaced Britton's crappy wobbly bookcase with a smaller bookcase from the same manufacturer as the kitchen bookcases.  This one does not lean three inches off the wall like the other, so I'm already impressed!


As far as Britton's room goes, we're finished.  DONE.  Well, other than the ceiling fan.  But I'm not putting it in, so it doesn't count!

No comments:

Post a Comment