Friday, July 13, 2012

never give up

Heck no I don't own this.  Photo courtesy of http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/22-reasons-to-never-give-up/

Remember my last post where the storm of all things ornery was raining down on me?  Well, the hail showed up too.  We lost the house we had under contract.  Actually, to be honest and accurate, we terminated the contract.  Last weekend we had a home inspection completed, and there was some mold in the attic.  Even though it's pretty common here, especially in older homes, we had the home inspector test it anyways just to be sure.

It came back positive for toxic black mold.  We called a mold remediator to check it out and see what could be done, and this is where it gets wonky.  The hub and I were driving to the house to meet the mold guy and we got stuck in construction traffic.  No big deal - I called the mold guy and left a voicemail that we were running late.  Well, we show up 15 minutes late, and the mold guy is gone.  Apparently he has already visually inspected the mold and it "doesn't look like a problem," even though he took no samples.  When I called him to ask if he could swing back by the house, and show us the extent of the mold issues and actually have a conversation with us about it, he said no.  When I asked if I would at least get his report, he told me that since he was working for the sellers, they would have to get it for me.  Hmmmm, working for the sellers, but I was the one who called him to come out in the first place.

His report stated the mold wasn't a big deal and could be remediated.  Soffit vents blah blah blah.  And that's all fine and good, except he never tested the mold.  And we did.  So we're going with our guts that say to run, do not walk, do not pass go, do not collect $100, RUN away from anything that causes asthma and respiratory issues.  The sellers gave us a hard time about it, even going so far as to write me an email from my LinkedIn profile to say that we were overreacting.  If I weren't so shocked by that complete lack of decorum, I'd be pissed.  Because who is this guy to assume that this was an easy decision, that we wanted to walk away from the only house we liked enough to try to buy, that I wasn't crying over losing out on the house and forcing myself to mentally move out all the ideas I had and plans I had made?

BUT WE ARE NOT GIVING UP!  No sir.  I thought if I wrote it in all caps, then I'd believe it too.  But truth is, I'm not exactly in my happy place.  Four weeks in a hotel are wearing on me, and they are wearing on Britton, and we're all-too-aware that we just wasted two weeks on a house we can't buy.  Britton functions best in her routine, and she's been without her real routine.  It's led to nights where the hub and I spend hours putting her back to bed, where not even taking away her new bike prevents her from getting back up.  And the hub and I are short with each other, because we're both tired of it all.  We need a real home.  The soonest we could move into a house would be a month, and we'd have to write an offer tomorrow.  

Which we just might do....... to be continued.......

No comments:

Post a Comment